I blame some random stranger on FaceBook for this one. 😉 Or maybe it was Twitter. Or Tumblr.
Anyway, on some social networking site or other, someone had made a comment about the number of New Who actors who are also singers.
This person specifically mentioned John Barrowman (Jack Harkness), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams/Pond) as singers, accomplished in their own right even outside of their Doctor Who fame, and that David Tennant (10th Doctor) has been known to enjoy singing along.
This person then suggested that, given the musical talents of these various actors, a musical episode of Doctor Who or Torchwood was long overdue. 😉
And then, a few months ago, I happened to have this
In this dream, I was having lunch at some conference my parents were attending, and while there, I happened to bump into John Barrowman.
Sorry, “bump into” is a bit vague. Whoever had decided the event’s seating arrangements put the man right next to me.
We chatted over the meal, and at some point we started trading ideas for new Doctor Who or Torchwood episodes.
I forget which of us suggested it first (or whether this detail had ever been established in the dream), but one of the ideas was for an alien parasite that compelled their hosts to sing. Not to sing well, just to sing. Even people who couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket, as the saying goes, were as vulnerable to this parasite as those who had any talent… and of course were much more annoying to be around as a result.
I made a suggestion about how such parasites could find their hosts and spread: what if the singing was related to how they reproduced? What if they sent themselves along the sound waves?
The good singers, then, would most likely spread more of these parasites, as the average person would want to listen to them. We would be more inclined to tune out or turn off the bad singers, so they would not cause the parasites to spread as much.
(Although, after waking up, I realized the terrible singers might be more common than the good ones, and some might have a different sort of notoriety, that results in them being just as dangerous as the good singers.)
A challenge to fanfiction writers: anybody care to write that story? 😉
Make it as serious or humorous as you please. The humorous approach seems obvious, but I’m sure there’s some way to make serious if you really want to.
- John Barrowman takes centre stage – as a cardboard cutout (walesonline.co.uk)
- Interview: John Barrowman Talks ARROW and Pam Anderson in DOCTOR WHO’s TARDIS (nerdist.com)
- Torchwood: A Post-Mortem (lurkingrhythmically.blogspot.com)
- John Barrowman Gets Ice-Bucketed By Jock Strap-Sporting Husband: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Gay Iconography: Sci-Fi Superheroics From John Barrowman (towleroad.com)
- John Barrowman Talks “Sing Your Face Off,” New Album and “Arrow” (musingsofamildmanneredman.co.uk)
- John Barrowman awarded MBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours List (pinknews.co.uk)
- SDCC: John Barrowman Cuts Loose in His “Anything Goes” Panel (spinoff.comicbookresources.com)
- Showbiz: Torchwood’s John Barrowman ‘in talks’ over Doctor Who anniversary (walesonline.co.uk)